A URLEND trainee must have:
- Must have successfully completed an undergraduate program from an accredited college or university
- Must provide documentation that establishes acceptance by and enrollment in a graduate program that is one of the URLEND core disciplines, prior to entrance into the URLEND program
- Must be a citizen of the United States or be admitted to the United States with a permanent resident visa; and Must provide a current license to demonstrate that they are qualified to practice their profession in their home state if this requirement is a prerequisite for their discipline.
Trainees who are not currently in a graduate program must have achieved the academic degree and completed requisite training that constitutes the basic professional level training for their field. Post-masters and post-doctoral fellows must have an earned masters or doctorate and must have completed any required internship. Post-residency fellows must have an earned medical or dental degree and must have satisfied requirements for certification in a specialty relevant to this proposed training.
Additionally, trainees should possess the following:
- Evidence of strong written and oral communication skills with professionals, peers, families, and service providers
- Examples of initiative in academic, clinical, vocational, or other areas
- Examples of leadership or successful supervisory experience in areas of academics, volunteer services, community, religious organizations, student government, extracurricular clubs, etc.
- Evidence of the ability to work independently with the appropriate skill level
- Evidence of the ability to work effectively in groups/teams
- Demonstrated ability to see the "big picture" (puts separate pieces of knowledge together to form a whole; wants to understand both the pieces and the system)
- Good conceptualization (can use information in one context and generalize to another; finds threads of commonality and weaves them together)
- Able to identify issues and areas of concern and bring them forward
- Self-defined goals
- A sense of humor
- Flexibility and adaptability combined with persistence