Admission for Community Trainees
Application Links At Bottom of Page.** Currently Accepting Applications for the 2022-2023 Training Year (Aug 2022 thru April 2023)
Community Trainees are selected based on leadership skills, learned experiences, demonstrated commitment to improve their own communities, and willingness to apply knowledge and efforts in the field of disabilities.
A Long-Term URLEND Community Trainee:
- Must have successfully completed a college degree/program (in the US or abroad) from an accredited college or university.
- Must have experience working with the community for at least 3 years.
- Must be a citizen or legal resident of the United States.
- Must be available Friday afternoons for fall and spring semester from 12-4 Mountain Time to attend didactic sessions.
- Must be able to commit to complete 300 hours of URLEND training during the academic year.
- Must be able to provide documentation of immunity to or vaccination for: covid, flu, pertussis, varicella, and MMR. Verification of immunization is required and must be completed prior to any participation in clinical experiences.
- Must be able to successfully pass a criminal background check and drug screen.
Additionally, Long-Term Trainees should possess the following:
- Evidence of advanced written and oral communication skills (it is important for interacting with peers, families, and faculty at academic/institutional settings). URLEND participation and proactive involvement is a critical expectation of the program;
- Evidence of leadership roles/actions within community organizations or with the community work. For example, evidence of initiative in community work developing projects/programs for the community wellbeing;
- Evidence of the ability to work effectively in groups/teams as well as independently;
- Previous experience / strong interest in working with the community on supporting, educating, empowering, and developing activities/efforts for the community wellbeing;
- Understanding and ability to identify community needs and possible/potential solutions;
- Self-defined leadership goals for the community at any level (local, regional, or even national);
- Evidence of flexibility and adaptability combined with persistence. Ex. life experiences challenging situations;
- Evidence of relevant/insightful knowledge gained while working with the community.
APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONSIf you are applying to be a Long-Term Trainee, the following materials must be submitted as part of your application (you will be asked to upload these documents).
- Current CV / Resume
- Two letters of support from supervisors or colleagues that address the URLEND criteria with an emphasis on the applicant’s leadership abilities to work with the community.
- Copies of your college transcripts (unofficial copies are fine)
- Letter of application (limited to 2 pages) that includes information on the following:
- Community work (including experiences working with diverse and multicultural populations);
- Leadership roles in working with the community;
- Examples of initiative in community work;
- Discussion of previous experience in the field of community work and/or current interest in the field of disabilities;
- Discussion of community needs related to youth and families with disabilities and areas for potential improvement;
- Leadership goals in the field of community health and/or disabilities;
- A description of how the trainee would apply URLEND learnings/resources into his/her community work;
- A description of time availability to complete required program hours.
If you are applying to be a Medium-Term Trainee (40-299 clock hours), please submit the following:
- Current CV / resume
- Copies of your college transcripts (unofficial is fine);
- Letter of support from one colleague or supervisor;
- Letter of application (limited to 1 page) that outlines your interest in the URLEND program, your availability to attend the didactic seminars, and the number of hours you anticipate completing.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: March 28, 2022
------------------ APPLICATIONS ------------------
TO APPLY, complete the online application.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: March 28, 2022
For further information contact: Gretchen Peacock, URLEND Admissions Chair, at 435-797-0721 or firstname.lastname@example.org